Career Development Opportunities
When you join our team you will enjoy a competitive salary and a comprehensive package of benefits. In West Sussex County Council, our staff are just as important as the children and families we care for. It’s important to us that we support you in every way, at every step.
We have introduced new roles linked to the social work Professional Capabilities Framework (PCF). Our aim is to offer a clear career pathway, to develop and promote talent and excellence in practice with opportunities to progress at each level of the organisation.
For a more detailed read of all our benefits that are available to you, please download our Great Place to Work Booklet.
- Access to research communities including Community Care Inform and Research in Practice
- HCPC fees paid for all social workers up to Grade 12
- Flexible working opportunities
- Mobile working – own laptop and Blackberry
- Annual leave of up to 29 days per year
- A minimum of 5 days’ professional development time per year
- Relocation package of up to £10,000 for 3+ years’ experience (prior agreement is required)
- Childcare vouchers scheme
- Career break scheme and generous additional leave options for maternity, adoption, paternity, dependency and parental leave
- Excellent local government pension scheme
- Staff discounts
Professional Development and Training
Our aim is to offer a clear career pathway, to develop and promote talent and excellence in practice with opportunities to progress at each level of the organisation. We train, we inspire, we progress our people. Social care is moving forward with real purpose and your involvement is important to us. All new staff receive training in our core practice framework.
West Sussex has a comprehensive training programme with clear pathways for all stages of your development.
Each level is linked to the Professional Capabilities Framework, with which you can plan your career and development.
We also have a comprehensive range of internal courses and West Sussex Safeguarding Children Board courses. Internal training courses are accessed via the Learning and Development Gateway
We have excellent links with our local Universities and have developed a Post Graduate pathway with the University of Chichester.
Social Work Academy
Our Social Work 'Academy' offers guidance and support to newly qualified social workers through the first crucial year of practice. Working within a close and supportive team, you will be equipped and highly trained to become the best possible social worker using a phased approach to the volume and complexity of your workload.
At the end of your first year you will have developed the skills, experience and confidence to protect and improve the lives of vulnerable children in West Sussex.
In your first year of practice you can expect:
- Reduced and Protected caseloads
- A dedicated training pathway, intensive for your first four months which supports your progression into a qualified social work role
- Regular reflective supervision, weekly for the first 6 weeks, fortnightly for the next 6 months and then 3-4 weekly
- Group Supervision
- A dedicated holistic assessor to help oversee your development
- Support from experienced social workers in the team, managers and wider service
Why we do this...
Thank you for helping me, my life is such a better place.
Just to say thank you to Lisa for the support and understanding, she is one in a million. She has helped me through so many ups and downs, so THANK YOU